Historic Downtown . . . an award winning Georgia Main Street City
The Moultrie Commercial Historic District is located in the center of Downtown Moultrie in Southwest Georgia. The 15-block area contains commercial, professional, governmental, agri-industrial, and institutional buildings. Most of the districtâ€™s historic buildings are one- to two-stories in height, although there are several taller, more prominent buildings. Downtown Moultrie is a thriving historic small-town commercial center. The site is that of the original settlement founded in 1859.
Located within the boundaries of the district are 63 contributing buildings to the national register, one contributing object, and 17 noncontributing buildings. The great majority of these buildings are constructed of brick and exhibit stylistic influences typical of turn of the century small town commercial area. Although alterations have been made to many of these structures, the overall historic integrity of the district remains substantially intact. The historic district was placed on the National Registry of Historic places on June 3, 1994. Its official name is The Moultrie Commercial Historic District.
Historic Downtown Moultrie Architectural Classification:
- Late 19th & 20th Century Revivals: Beaux Arts Late
- 19th & 20th Century Revivals: Neoclassical Revival
- Late 19th & 20th Century Revivals: Colonial Revival
- Late 19th & 20th Century Movements: Craftsman/Mediterranean Revival
- Modern Movement: Art Deco
- Other: Commercial Vernacular Victorian
- Other: 20th Century Commercial
- Other: Stripped Classical
- Foundation: brick/concrete
- Walls: brick/stucco/concrete/metal; aluminum
- Roof: asphalt/clay
- Other: limestone/wood